EMDR Child Specialist Level 1 Intensive Program:
- Phoenix, AZ January 15-19, 2018
8 hours of online training
30 hours of intensive
8 hours of consultation
Week- Long Program Description
This intensive-week long training clinicians will learn advanced skills and practice under the direction of Ana Gomez, the HOW TOs of EMDR therapy with children. This training will teach in depth case conceptualization using the AIP (Adaptive Information processing) model, attachment theory, affective neuroscience, interpersonal neurobiology and the polyvagal theory. In addition, preparation strategies and EMDR games that will provide children with a solid foundation to face traumatic material will be thoroughly presented. This level is recommended for clinicians starting to use EMDR with children or clinicians that need the foundational skills. A thorough hands on approach is used, as Ana Gomez will walk participants through the eight phases of EMDR therapy with children with simple and complex clinical presentations. This advanced training workshop will provide step-by-step strategies that will assist clinicians in following EMDR therapy principles and procedures while meeting the developmental needs of children. Clinicians will learn how to make EMDR therapy successful and effective for children. Participants will be able to develop the skills and strategies that are necessary for case conceptualization and the effective implementation of EMDR therapy with children. Theory and practice will be combined within a small group setting to provide a very tangible experience. Program level: Full EMDR training required for the 30 hours intensive training.
This intensive training will provide a comprehensive body of knowledge and advance techniques so clinicians can effectively implement the eight phases of EMDR therapy with children.
(1) Clinicians will be able to develop case conceptualization skills and treatment plans based on the Adaptive Information Processing model (AIP), attachment theory, affective neuroscience, interpersonal neurobiology and the polyvagal theory.
(2) Clinicians will develop advanced skills in treatment plan development and will have advanced supervised practice in global and phase specific case conceptualization.
(3) Clinicians will develop basic and advanced skills in preparing children for EMDR trauma processing. This includes resources for stabilization and affect regulation as well as strategies to identify targets using developmentally appropriate float back and mapping strategies. In addition, playful and fun ways of identifying targets will be covered such as:
• The memory wand
• Memory boxes
• Masks and many others
(4) This training will cover in depth the skill-building model and the use of EMDR games with children to facilitate the use of the eight phases of EMDR therapy. Emphasis will be placed on the importance of making children acquainted with the different components of EMDR therapy prior to moving into the assessment and desensitization phases. Strategies to helping children develop cognitive, emotional and somatic literacy so they can access the cognitive, affective, and somatosensory aspects of the trauma memories will be demonstrated.
• Games to assist children in developing cognitive literacy and awareness.
• Games to assist children in developing somatic and sensorimotor literacy and awareness.
• Games to assist children in developing emotional literacy and awareness.
(5) Clinicians will be able to use concrete and playful strategies to engage children during the assessment phase. In addition, clinicians will learn advanced strategies to set up processing sessions to optimize the child's integrative capacities. These strategies are especially helpful when working with children with sensitized sympathetic nervous systems and children with sensitized dorsal vagal systems.
(6) Participants will also learn how and when to use interweaves that are more suitable for children.
• Interweaves that address the plateau of responsibility.
• Interweaves that address the plateau of safety.
• Interweaves that address the plateau of power and control.
• Somatic, cognitive and affective interweaves.
• Educational interweaves
(7) This intensive training will cover playful strategies that can be used during the installation, body scan and reevaluation phases of EMDR therapy. In addition, how to help children make new choices and incorporate appropriate behaviors in the future through the use of the future template protocol will be addressed.
(8) Clinicians will have the opportunity to practice in small groups and receive individualized feedback.
8:30 am to 12:00 pm
12 pm to 1 pm- Lunch
1:00 pm to 5:30 pm
Module 1: Recordings will be available after registration (3 hours)
Module 2: Recordings will be available after registration (3 hours)
Module 3: Recordings will be available after registration (3 hours)
CE Credits Information- 38 CEUs
You can watch the archives on your own time. If you are unable to attend the "live" presentation, take a test and get the CE Credits. General CEC provided by the EMDR Institute.
APA: EMDR Institute, Inc., is approved by the American Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. EMDR Institute, Inc., maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
RN: EMDR Institute, Inc. is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 9755.
BBS: For California the course meets the qualifications for continuing education credit for LMFT, LPCC and LCSW as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Approval No: PCE270.
SW: EMDR Institute, provider #1206, is an approved provider for SW continuing education by the Assoc of SW Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. EMDR Institute maintains responsibility for the program. Social workers participating in this course will receive 38 clinical continuing education clock hours.
Please contact the EMDR Institute 831-761-1040 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information about continuing education for social workers. (SW boards outside the state in which the training occurs may or may not accept transferal of units depending upon individual state board policy.)
38 EMDRIA CEUs -Ana M Gomez EMDRIA approved credit provider # 07005
EMDR Basic Training Level 1 & 2